Sunday, March 23, 2014

Quinoa...

I have had a hard time liking quinoa. It's just....kind of boring.

In an effort to eat better, and TRY to eliminate pre packaged food (easier said than done), I thought I'd give it another try. I had made rice-a-ronie a few days before. Terribly delicious, sodium filled side dish. But, I got to thinking, maybe I could take the same cooking method for rice-a-ronie, and make my own using quinoa. Worth a try!

I chopped up a bunch of veggies. Onion, garlic (crushed), carrot, bell pepper, broccoli, zucchini...whatever I had in the fridge.

Sautéed the onion, garlic, pepper and carrot in olive oil.

Added the broccoli last. I don't like mushy broccoli. Then added the quinoa, a little salt and pepper and sautéed until the quinoa was a tad golden brown.

Added low sodium veggie broth and simmered until all the liquid was absorbed. Just like rice-a-ronie.

 

I apologize for the terrible lighting. But here is the finished product. It was delicious!! You can also do this with rice (preferably brown rice) I have found at least one way to enjoy quinoa!

 

1 comment:

  1. Very clever... wonder if it would freeze well? I'm looking for good one pot things to make and take for lunch - that looks like it might fit the bill!

    ReplyDelete